Sunday 25 November 2012

November 25 - Real Life Project

          Last class, Sohrob re-did his investment project.  I was very impressed by his presentation.  Not only did he engage the audience with some humor, but he had a loud, clear voice that was topped off with some top-notch information.  Sorhob showed us perhaps the easiest way for someone like us to start investing.  Using screenshots, he walked us through the Vanguard website.  Using an UGMA account, is it so simple for a minor to start investing.  With the supervision of their parent, they can set up an account on their parent or guardian's account, which will automatically be transferred to their own account once they turn eighteen.  As far as I know, Sohrob and I are the only ones in class who have started investing.  I feel we have an advantage because most students will forget about the class and investing once this semester ends.  Sohrob does have a great advantage on me however, he has several large accounts while I just have one small one!  Great job Sohrob.
         I can't really remember what we went over last class minus Mr. Hallam introducing our next project.  For this "Real Life Project," first we need to pick a college we think we may realistically graduate from.  This is iffy for me, since I really want to attend Duke University, but it is tough to get into.  I'll just pick that school anyway. From there I will find the average salary out of Duke and add 10% to that (hoping I'm above average).  From there, I'll have to find an actual house or apartment for rent that I could afford.  Then I have to take into account housing expenses (laundry, furniture, AC, etc).  Then I have to take into account many more other variables (transportation, travel, entertainment).
I'm looking forward to this project because it will actually have help us in our near future.
       During vacations, I typically spend much more than I do during an average school week.  However, this past Thanksgiving break wasn't typical for me.  I stayed in Singapore the whole time, only traveled to the city once, and ate most meals at home.  Most money I spend is for transportation and entertainment.  The money I spent these past five days were for groceries and some snacks at school where I was umpiring.  I made $180 this weekend for umping. I'm going to put this cash towards my investing!

No comments:

Post a Comment